Institut for Games
The Institute For Games is an academic institution at the Stuttgart Media University established in order to concentrate and strengthen the activities around the subject Games. It provides a forum for students, developers, publisher studios, manufacturers, associations and scientific organizations. The aims of the institut are:
- Education with focus on games
- Concentration of activities of the various programs of study
- Development of innovative (mobile) game software
- Testing of new soft- and hardware
- Examination of ethical aspects and awareness raising for these
- Cross-linking with applied research
- Information exchange
- Realization and announcement of projects and workshops
- Providing hardware, software and expertise/li>
- Assistance for Startups
Head of Institute
Other employees and PhD students
We develop games on current professional hard- and software, which permanently is renewed and completed. Currently we have about 20 systems running windows (W7 and 8), two systems running Linux, eight iMacs, several IPads, IPhones, Android tabs, Android phones and Windows tablets, as well as five Oculus Rift development kits and a steering wheel for driving simulation. In addition a pool of mobile production devices like cameras, sound and lighting equipment is available. We use software like Unity, Adobe Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Final Cut Pro DVD-Studio Pro and Premiere.
A powerfull server infrastructure is provided, consisting of several systems running virtual machines managed by OpenVZ. As operating systems on our servers we mostly use Linux. As database systems we use MySQL besides Apache and NginX. For programming we use Java, C++, PHP, Python and occasionally also others.
The GamesLab is currently located in the rooms 132 and 146 at the Stuttgart Media University. Both rooms can be found here.